Sunday, April 15, 2012

One of the purposes in writing this blog was to challenge my own status quo.  That is, my tendency to let the days slip by without really doing anything of significance - wasting them with trivia, half-done tasks, and laziness. 
In my late fifties, it seems like the aging process began in earnest.  I lost the car more frequently in parking lots.  I would make promises I meant to keep, but promptly forgot within seconds.  I cook less, sit down more and am more distracted than I used to be.
Along with the natural aging process, I think our culture is far more fragmenting than it used to be.  Things like Facebook, Bejeweled, Words with Friends, text messages and emails have lowered our ability to be in one place and focused on one thing for any extended period of time.  Our brains expect things to change every few seconds.
So much has been written on this, and I think we all know that living our lives with so little (as I wrote that word, the house phone rang, Jim answered, and I took that brief interruption to pick up my phone and play some more on a Bejeweled game I had been doing...where was I? Oh, yes...short attention span.)
This is exactly what I mean.  I doubt I am the only person who (hot flash. Concentration lost again while the internal furnace explodes my body with heat and sweat.)  What was I saying?
Can anyone relate to this?  If this pattern of piecemeal attention is going to be the norm from this point on in my life, how can I expect to accomplish anything of significance?  Unless I make some earnest effort to create extended periods of uninterrupted time for thinking, praying, writing and reading, I don't believe I will be all that I can be.  Or,, that I will give all that I can give.
I think that, even

No comments:

Post a Comment