Sunday, July 22, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

A Day to Celebrate!

I have arrived at the threshold of a new decade of life!  Today is a good day!

The day itself was quite low-key.  We didn't go to church, but went fishing at the state park instead.  The really humorous part is our complete lack of experience with fishing!  We rented a flat-bottom boat, bought some worms, and took to cane fishing poles out into the lake in the middle of the day.  Any true fisherman knows that we had about 0 chance of catching a fish.  And, we didn't catch any fish, but we had a good time.

We came home, cleaned up and had birthday cake with my parents and our son, Trent and his wife and baby.  As soon as they left, we put a pizza in the oven and are just finishing that off.  This was not a healthy food day!  One reason for the low-key day is that we are going to be heading to the beach in a few weeks to celebrate my birthday with all our children and their families.  

FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE 100 DAYS:
As I mentioned in previous blog posts, I am glad I spent 100 days thinking about the future decades.  From this point on, I will be much more aware of what really matters to me in life.  I feel more optimistic than when I started.  I have gained greater self-knowledge as a result of the ups and downs I experienced in the past few months.  I recognize that I am going to be making some changes in the way I spend my time.  There may be some changes in what I do professionally.  And, I think Jim and I will continue to try new things, like fishing, just for the heck of it!  

At this moment, I am wishing I could wax eloquent about powerful philosophical lessons I have learned, or reflect on massive goals I achieved.  This is not the case.  I am at the end of a very nice day.  We were able to be out on the water, paddling a boat and laughing at our pitiful attempts to fish.  We watched a huge hawk ride the thermals above our heads, a crane glide over the water, and we stared back at the turtle heads watching us from a safe distance.  We played, and we had a good time.  

And we have eaten - soggy sandwiches, chips and lukewarm water while we fished.  Birthday cake, ice cream and pizza finished out our birthday menu.  We have had way too much sugar and fat, and we are super tired from the carbs and the hours on the open water.  Tomorrow, we will go back to our morning walks and healthy eating.  But, today was my birthday, and we did what you do on birthdays - celebrate with happy foods!

About two weeks ago, Jim and I talked a lot about what we are supposed to do with the days we have on earth.  He was reading in Ecclesiastes and shared these verses: Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him - for this is his lot.  Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work - this is a gift of God.  Eccl. 5:18-19

I have to believe that this is great wisdom.  It is a far cry from cynicism, and it is hardly Pollyanna, but it is solid, practical wisdom for life.  I pray that in the days that I still have, whether it is one hour or 50 years, I can live them with a sense of wonder, contentment and joy. 

The 100 days are over, but the new decade has just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment